You should be prepared for anything whenever you are operating a vehicle. Your car could break down, or you could suddenly have a flat tire, and you are in an area without cell phone reception. JC Demo Insurance Group has independent agents in Matthews, NC wants to let you know everything you need to have in your emergency car kit.
Homemade or Prepacked Kits
Kits that have everything already packaged together is a great place to start, but you may want to tailor your kit to suit your family and travel needs.
- Weather – in North Carolina, the temperatures could drop drastically, and you may need a small shovel or window scraper.
- Family Needs – include extra diapers, baby wipes, hand sanitizer, feminine protection, and pet food.
- Food and Clothing – add an extra supply of non-perishable food, water, zip lock bags, trash bags, and clothing.
Things You Will Need
Whether you are going to buy a prepacked emergency kit or create one of your own, you will need to have the following items included in your pack:
- First-aid kit
- Emergency triangle or cones
- Jumper cables
- Toothbrush and toothpaste
- Fire extinguisher
- Scissors or box cutter
- Alcohol wipes
- Microfiber cloth
- Paracord or a tow rope
- Rain poncho
- Extra cell phone battery
Useful Tips in an Emergency
Keep an empty gas canister in your trunk. If you ever run out of gas, you won’t have to wait for a tow. You can walk to the nearest filling station and back.
Having an automatic battery charger could come in handy if your battery doesn’t start. It is a small device that you can use as a temporary measure instead of calling a tow truck.
Keeping up your vehicle’s maintenance is the best way to preserve your vehicle and keep you safe. The JC Demo Insurance Group in Matthews, NC has auto insurance options that will also help keep you safe on the road.