You expect your business to be safe, but sometimes accidents just happen no matter how careful you are or how well you train your employees. Since your employees are your greatest asset, you want to do everything you can to take care of them. Workers’ Compensation Insurance helps make sure that when your employees are injured, their bills can be taken care of. When choosing an insurance policy in JC Demo Insurance Group, serving Matthews, NC, it is important to find out the requirements for your business.
Workers’ Compensation Insurance is Required in North Carolina
Any business in North Carolina with three or more employees is required to carry Workers’ Compensation Insurance, even if the workers are minors or undocumented workers. Even if the business has fewer than three employees, there is still a requirement to carry Workers’ Compensation Insurance if any of the employees’ work involves the use of radiation, or is in the presence of radiation.
There are several exceptions to the requirement for carrying insurance:
- If the business has fewer than three employees, there is no insurance requirement.
- Domestic help and household servants are exempt.
- Agricultural employers are exempt unless they have 10 or more non-seasonal agricultural workers.
- Corporate officers must be included in the employee count, but do not have to be covered.
- Sole proprietors, LLC members and partners are not automatically counted, but may choose to be so.
- Even some truckers must be covered now, although they are considered independent contractors.
Most businesses will need to carry Workers’ Compensation Insurance. Failure to do so could result in fines or even criminal charges. You can explore your options by contacting the JC Demo Insurance Group serving Matthews, NC today.