My Apartment in Matthews, North Carolina has been Broken into and items stolen. Am I Covered for this Loss?

When you purchase homeowners insurance for your apartment in Matthews, North Carolina, you may worry about what is covered and what is not. Although the specifics of your policy will vary based on the insurer and the amount of coverage that you purchased, your home coverage may protect the contents of your apartment as well as the property.

Basic Coverage

Coverage for a home may include several factors. In most cases, insurers will protect your personal belongings if they are stolen or damaged from a situation that is beyond your control.

Theft may be covered, but the amount of coverage will vary. Depending on your policy and the type of protection plan that you purchased, you may be reimbursed for the full replacement value or the value after depreciation.

Making a Claim

When you determine that the contents of your apartment are covered under your plan, it is time to make a claim on your policy. Before you contact your insurer, call the police and make a formal report. A police report is proof of the theft and the damages to your apartment.

Call the insurer and explain the situation. The insurer may ask you to send a copy of the police report and any documents that prove that you owned the items, such as a receipt or a picture.

In most cases, insurers will protect your personal belongings and reimburse you for the loss as long as you have a record to prove that you owned the item and you have a policy that protects your contents as well as the structure. The amount of coverage you have may vary, so it is important to read through your policy. To learn more about your policy or coverage plan, contact us to speak to an independent agent today.